Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Road Trip Day #2 - Iowa to Boulder, Colorado

DAY 2 - Sunday, October 19, 2008

We woke up early again (5:45am!) and left Cedar Falls by 6:30am. After fueling up at the Kum & Go and a twenty minute detour due to Carmen Garmin/Bitch-Slut's navigational issues (how was SHE supposed to know that road was there?!?), we finally made it to the highway. Unfortunately, what came between us and Boulder, Colorado was about 10 hours of cornfields.

The morning started beautifully though, with this sunrise in Iowa. Michelle took the first pic; I took the second.

Photo credit: Michelle Denton
Most of Iowa and practically all of Nebraska is corn fields, flat land, and straight roads. At one point while Michelle was driving, she got really really excited because there was a slight curve in the road. It was honestly the most interesting thing we had seen in hours. Oh, but these windmills were pretty cool!

Photo credit: Michelle Denton

Here is what most of Day 2 consisted of:
Photo credit: Shea Keats
After what seemed like forever (think of how long you're usually at work, now imagine sitting in a car looking at cornfields that whole time*), we started to see little hills rising up ever so slightly. These were the first "mountains" we saw. See 'em just poking out above the trees? Haha.

The final two hours of our trip went by pretty quickly because we could see the Rocky Mountains in the distance... which means, we could see our goal. And as we got closer, the landscape and geography became much more interesting.

Photo credit: Michelle Denton
We arrived at Shea's friend Aimee's apartment in Boulder around 5:30pm. We ate yummy sushi for dinner (from my observation, Boulder seems to have more sushi restaurants per capita than any city I've ever visited before). Then we hung out a little and went to bed!

I wrote in my diary at the end of Day 2: "The mountains in Boulder are gorgeous. Unlike anything I've ever seen in my life!"... which was true, up to that point. Little did I know how much was still to come!

*Actually, one of the most interesting things about this trip, I've found, was how I never once felt bored or restless. I brought two books, sudoku, paper and crayons, and an iPod filled with movies and TV shows... and I didn't use ANY of it in the car at all. We spent our time talking, listening to music, and listening to podcasts (This American Life and Dan Savage's "Savage Lovecast"). Out of the 40 total hours in the car, I only slept for about 3 hours. And we only played like a half hour of car games. I think switching drivers and seats every 3-4 hours was the key. Regardless, it's crazy to realize I was never bored... but I guess having two of my best friends in the car helped time fly too! :)

No comments: