Monday, February 8, 2010

Finally a school day!


Figures. I got a boyfriend who was cute and funny and instead of being happy, I found reasons not to like him. So I was probably his first girlfriend... so what? That cracks me up. I acted like my two week relationship with Craig was legitimate dating experience. I had experience, Richard did not.

Popularity was huge in middle school even though I don't think any of us could have actually defined "popular" or explained how people became popular. Looking back on it, I guess a lot of them played sports and/or had older siblings. Older siblings could teach them about clothes and makeup and flirting and dating and kissing... things I knew nothing about. Also, I guess the popular kids had no other defining traits except the two I already mentioned. They weren't especially into music or theater or video games or school in general. And since they couldn't be classified into any other group, I guess that left them as "popular".

So even though I certainly wasn't popular, I still judged Richard's popularity. Which is weird because I don't remember judging Craig's... and he wasn't terribly popular either. But I'm glad that even though Richard wasn't popular, I still dated him and saw him for all his good qualities and hoped that everyone would see him the way I did too. For all I know, he was thinking the same thing about me.


---
“12-16-96. Dear Yraid, Finally a school day! Every time Richard & I saw each other, we said hi & smiled. At the end of the day, he asked me if I wanted him to sit w/ me at lunch tomorrow. I said sure. I thought of dumping him. I’m not as comfortable around him as I wuz around Craig. I’m pretty sure I’m his 1st girlfriend. But that could be good cuz he’ll remember me forever. A lot of people are making fun of me. That’s why I don’t want many people to know. I’m kinda embarrassed. Hopefully it’ll turn out good & everyone will start to respect him more. He’s not very popular. But he’s cute & funny so I don’t see why not. Well I’ve gotta go! -Krista P.S. Jaime said Doug told Richard to call me tonite & Doug gave him my #. Richard never called me! Craig & I are really good friends now! I heart Richard! I guess. I almost need a new diary!”

No comments: