Monday, May 18, 2009

Radio Show Clip #11

This clip is from the same segment as the last clip I posted... where "callers" sang Christmas songs on my fake radio show. Hopefully, you'll remember this parody of Joy to the World from your childhood too...

I can't believe the horrible songs we used to sing in elementary school about our teachers! If that one wasn't bad enough... what about this one?
"Glory glory hallelujah
Teacher hit me with a ruler
I bopped her on the bean
With a rotten tangerine
And her teeth came marching out."
Or possibly the most graphic teacher song I remember:
"On top of Old Smokey
All covered with sand
I shot my poor teacher
With a green rubber band.

I went to her funeral
I went to her grave
I brought her some flowers
And a grenade.

I read in the paper
That she wasn't quite dead
So I bought a bazooka
And blew off her head."
How did we get away with that kind of disrespect? Do kids still sing this stuff today? Even though I wasn't a violent child and I didn't take any of it seriously, I can't imagine it'd be tolerated with all the school shootings that have occurred in recent years. I have friends that are teachers today and if some little brat said this kind of stuff about them, I'd want them in detention for life. I suppose no matter what, kids have always and will always say dumb things. But I dunno, that's a tough one.

---
P.S. I used to love those Sideways Stories from Wayside School... but curiously, a quick wikipedia search revealed that there was no character named Bobby in the books. Interesting.

2 comments:

Shea said...

we were in school pre-Columbine. kids would TOTALLY get suspended now. ask michelle about it :)

Unknown said...

yup DEFINITELY suspended