Thursday, July 30, 2009

When God fails, try the Ouiga board


Remember cassette tapes? Those were SO 1996. Actually, by 1996, most people probably had CDs, but I was behind the times. I know I've complained about cassette tapes before, so I won't ramble on too much now... but it's still weird to me how archaic seem today. My cassette tapes will be to my children what my parents' 8-track tapes are to me. The time-consuming concepts of rewinding, fast-forwarding, and flipping a tape over are totally foreign to kids in the 21st century. And yet, possibly a cumulative hour of my childhood was spent performing those tasks. Sigh. Nostalgia.

What is this "sign from God" business? Where did I learn that? What a load of crap. If it wasn't 2 chipmunks that was the sign, I would have noticed something else odd... or I would have waited a few hours until I noticed something odd and then would have taken that to be the sign. Apparently, I didn't put much faith in God or take my religion 100% seriously at the time if my next step was to try the not-so-Catholic Ouija board.

My mom would have never let me get a Ouija board under her watch... so I went behind her back and told my friend to get it for me for my birthday. When I opened it at my party, I quickly ripped the plastic off the box so that my mom couldn't make me return it. Sneaky.

Unfortunately, neither God nor Ouiga came through for me convincingly on the Craig issue. Where's the magic 8 ball when you need it?

3 comments:

SarahW said...

#1 - Daydream was my first CD ever.
#2 - "What's more important to me, having a cute boyfriend or staying safe?" No comment for that one? LOVE that moving too fast is "unsafe." As if kissing you on the first date would kill you. What did that even MEAN in seventh grade?

krista said...

Haha I think the "staying safe" comment about Craig meant more than just making out or whatever. Not only did Craig supposedly move too fast... but I think he kind of had a reputation of being a bad kid in general... like how he almost got kicked out of the dance.

But I mean, seriously, I don't think my mom would have ever let me hang out with a boy alone outside of school in 7th grade anyhow... so when would I have even been in an unsafe situation with him?

Haha. Good observation.

Shea said...

I totally wasn't allowed to have a Ouiji board either! Yes another clue that our moms would probably be best friends if they ever met!