Saturday, September 19, 2009

Axe Murder Hollow


Can you believe that? I danced with Craig not once but twice at the Halloween Dance. That was significant progress in my pursuit. Sure, he still turned me down when I BEGGED him to go out with me, but hey, at that point in my life, two slow dances in one night was the most “action” I had ever gotten from a guy. So, I was happy with that.

Enough about Craig, I know the only thing you really want to know about is the Saturday detention.


OH, but wait. Before I get into that, I need to mention one more thing about the Halloween Dance. You know that hayride I so casually mentioned? Well, it caused quite a stir at the time.


The middle school I attended was near a wooded area locally known as Axe Murder Hollow. The school-organized hayride took us down the dirt road through the Hollow. As if that itself wasn’t scary enough to a bunch of sheltered pre-teens, while we drove down that road in darkness, a teacher read the legend to us aloud… which has something to do with gypsies and someone murdering their family with an axe. Definitely a PG-13 story, at least.


Okay, but wait-- that’s not all. It gets better. Just when we were sufficiently creeped out by the story, a classmate noticed women walking out of the woods dressed as gypsies. And then a man came running down the road with an axe. And another man jumped on the back of the hayride wielding a running CHAINSAW. Some kids were laughing but other kids were freaking out.


Who were these people who came out of the woods? Ohhhh just some teachers from my school.


What the hell were they thinking??? Needless to say, there were enough parent complaints that the haunted hayride did not make a return appearance at the next year’s Halloween Dance.


Oh shoot. Looks like this entry is already long enough. I guess the Saturday detention story will have to wait until next time! ;)

---
“10-25-96 Dear Yraid, Today in school, here’s what happened: Monica let me use this top-coat nail polish that smells like vanilla. I told Craig to smell my nails, he did. But then he took my hand back & smelled my nails with a deep wiff. Strange! I got a Saturday detention. I don’t feel like talking about it. Today at the dance, here’s what happened: 1) Hung out with friends; 2) Got in line for the hayride. Craig was giving out Kit-Kat bars. He only had 2 & he gave them to Doug & ME!; 3) On the hayride, Doug took off my shoe & put hay in it! Doug put hay in my hair. Doug & I talked. Craig & I talked. Craig rubbed my leg (not on purpose though). I asked Craig if he’d dance with me. He took a second to think & then he said, “Fine, as long as your stupid friends stop bugging me!” (Jaime & other people had asked him before); 4) So, I danced with Craig to “I Swear”. It was so fun. Ahhhh!; 5) Hung with friends; 6) Asked Craig if he’d dance with me again. He thought about it and finally said YES!; 7) Danced with Craig (I forget what song). Ahhhh!; 8) As we danced, I asked him out. He thought & thought for the rest of the song & hung his head. He said, “I don’t really want to go out with anyone right now.” I begged him & begged him but finally I just exceeded what he said. 9) Talked with Doug some more. He said he’d talk to Craig about going out with me. Well, that was the dance! Fun beginning, tragic ending. Boo-hoo-hoo! Well, I’ve gotta go! Krista Craig hates me (I think). P.S. I touched Craig’s hair again. P.P.S. He temporarily dyed it green. P.P.P.S. The 2nd time we danced, we were really close! Ahhhh! I heart Craig!”

1 comment:

Shea said...

don't keep up in such suspense!!!