Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pool & YM

MIHS was the high school where we used to go swimming. My fun memories of that pool have since been replaced by the awkward memories of 9th grade pool class. Changing into a bathing suit in front of 50 other girls who probably also had negative self body images... unflattering swim caps... drying my bangs under a hand dryer after class... girls who hadn't yet learned to groom themselves properly... shirtless 14-year-old boys (awkward in any situation)... everyone knowing when it was your "time of the month" because you sat out that week... dealing with stares from the horny 14-year-old boys... seeing the water polo and swim team guys up close in their Speedos... the list goes on and on...

But ANYHOW, back in 1996, I guess I went swimming there and flirted with the lifeguard. Although I question how much flirting I actually did if he was trying to talk to us but I "told him to go away". And he was older AND semi-cute! What was I thinking?

Oh man, YM magazine. I totally forgot about that. Turns out it was discontinued in 2004. Who knew? My mom never would have let me get YM in middle school under her watch, in fact, I wasn't allowed to get Seventeen magazine until I was seventeen. But lucky for me, some girl working at a hotel in Pittsburgh gave me the YM while we were visiting for a weekend. I thought I was so cool for having it because I knew it was supposed to be for teenagers.

P.S. Did you notice I started this entry with the same first sentence as my last entry? I love that I felt the need to explain why I was writing a certain way, even if it was just for the hell of it.

2 comments:

Shea said...

omg, i was always so sad that my HS didn't have a pool, because it was a pain in the neck when I was on the swim team to use the YMCA pool.

However, I never thought of the horror of having to go swimming as part of gym class. Awful.

you seriously has to wear swim caps? what year was this? 1942?

krista said...

What?! Didn't you have to wear swim caps for swim team?? Like competitive swimming, pool class was serious business my friend.

Even tho swim caps are hideous, I can't imagine having gone to my next class with sopping wet hair. So I guess it worked out for the best.