Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sun-In

So... about Sun-In. My friend Jenny introduced me to Sun-In at art camp that summer. Jenny already had long blonde hair but as she used Sun-In, I watched her hair become blonder and sleeker every day. Then Rachel started using it. Rachel had light brown hair and her hair lightened beautifully too. Naturally, I figured I could benefit from some Sun-In myself.

Sun-In FAIL.

A word of warning: even if you think your hair is medium brown according to this chart, it's not. And even if it is, after 2 days in the sun it will NOT look like the sandy sunny hair promised. It will be orange. Rust orange. An orange that no human's hair should ever be. My Sun-In makeover did not transform me into the supermodel I thought I'd become... instead, it was a heart-breaking downgrade and waste of $5. Not to mention I was punished with a horrible hairstyle (just imagine the roots) for all of 7th grade. As if struggling with a lack of popularity and attention from boys wasn't hard enough as it was.

Since the Sun-In experience, I've come to accept that I have dark brown hair. Not quite the-darkest-brown-there-is dark but dark enough that in high school, guys I'd talk to on the phone or Internet after meeting just once would say things like, "Yeah, you're the girl with black hair." I used to think they weren't paying attention, but enough guys said it that I was finally convinced that my hair is dark enough to be considered black.

If only I had embraced my dark brown hair, maybe I wouldn't have thought I was such a "UD".

No comments: