Tuesday, February 24, 2009

First Day of 6th Grade



Middle school was a big jump from elementary school for me (and for most kids, I'm sure). At first, one of the most interesting things to me was finally getting to ride a school bus. My family lived close enough to the elementary school that I had always walked to school before.

The way I saw it, kids who rode the bus were in some kind of secret society. They got picked up at the end of their street and chauffeured to school (instead of walking half a mile in the lake-effect snow). They would always tell stories about the crazy thing so-and-so did on the bus that morning. And if they were really lucky, they would get to miss homeroom because their bus was late. To me,
a school bus was less along the lines of public transportation and more along the lines of a prom night limo.

It didn't take me very long to realize I hadn't been missing out on much. I had Caroline, the bus driver from hell. She would only play the country music station and would frequently pull the bus over to yell at us for being too loud or switching seats... basically for just being kids. My friend Mike would record her rants on his Talkboy
and we would devise grand schemes to get her fired. But it never happened. After my experience with Caroline, bus riding lost its glamour for good.

Oh I should also explain that at my middle school, each grade was divided into two "companies" each with their own teachers. So that's what I mean when I say that someone is in the "other company".

Finally, I can't leave without commenting on the fact that I was distraught over liking an actual guy that I knew over a celebrity. I couldn't possibly like someone I interacted with on a daily basis more than a TV sitcom actor, could I?! Gosh, diary, what WAS wrong with me?

No comments: