Thursday, February 5, 2009

True Love

"Dear Diary, In Kindergarten there was a boy named Andrew and me and Megan loved him but then Andrew told me that he only loved me."

Finally! An accurate date on the entry below. July 23, 1991. This was the summer after First Grade.
"My mom sent me up to my room because my sister was whining and I didn't do anything to her. Why did my mom do that?"

When my friend Michelle was over for dinner tonight, I had her take a closer look at my oldest diary entries with me. She has experience teaching kindergartners so I figured she might be able to help decipher some of the ambiguously spelled words. In the second entry I posted, the one about my preschool crush Nathan, I was never 100% sure about the last sentence. My best guess was "My hero", but that doesn't explain the three letters after that, clearly including an A and a V. Michelle explained that when kids are first starting to write phonetically, it's hard for them to figure out "Th", "Sh", and "Ch" combinations. Which explains why I used an H in place of Th multiple times... such as when I said "there was this boy", but spelled "there" "har":
By thinking that the H in the phrase above "HRO ?AV" may not have actually been a simple H sound, we finally came to the conclusion that it doesn't say "MY HERO", it actually says... "MY TRUE LOVE."

Awwwwww.

We also cheated a bit and erased some of the pencil scratches to reveal there is indeed an L under all that mess. To a 6-year-old... "HRO LAV" = "TRUE LOVE". :)

No comments: