Wednesday, February 25, 2009

First Middle School Dance

Ohhhh middle school dances. What awkward events they were. Girls would spend most of their time begging boys to dance with them, and if the boy said no, the girl would spend the rest of the dance bawling by the bleachers. My friend's mom once commented after a night of chaperoning that she could make a fortune selling tissues to crying girls at middle school dances. I remember undefensively agreeing with her because I thought that since she was trying to profit off of it instead of put a stop to it, she was acknowledging that it was totally normal for myself and other girls to cry over boys in public. And so we continued to cry...

Meanwhile, who knows what the boys were doing. Probably trying to fend off the girls, regretting their decision to come to the dance, and waiting impatiently to get picked up by their parents. I wonder how Doug and other guys explained the holes in their shirts when their moms did laundry later.

While all this drama was going on, was anyone even paying attention to the music and realizing that some of the songs the DJ was playing would forever be among the most perverted songs we've heard in our lifetime?

"Step back you're dancing kinda close. I feel a little poke coming through on you."


"If you're horny, let's do it. Ride it, my pony."

Seriously? They let us listen to this? It's a good thing I probably didn't even know what these songs meant at the time. I'm just glad that I only remember kids slow dancing at these dances. I don't have any memories of kids grinding at middle school dances... and thank god because thinking about 12 year olds dancing like that now really freaks me out.

2 comments:

Shea said...

i love that you bubble dot all your i's. And your middle school dances sound crazy! seriously, holes in peoples shirts! you've got to be kidding!

krista said...

Bubble dotting i's is the coolest thing ever, obvi.

About the dance-- what, you mean physical and emotional abuse wasn't standard at every middle school's dances?