Tuesday, February 17, 2009

POGS!

St. Patrick's Day 1995...

Like many schools at the time, my elementary school eventually banned POGs. Chronologically, this occurred after the banning of slap bracelets and prior to the banning of Tamagotchis.

Even though POGs were prohibited by the end of the school year, the teachers thought they'd redeem themselves by dreaming up the ridiculous theme "Hawaiian POG Hop" for our 5th grade graduation party. I remember the party involving tie-dye shirts, hula hoops, and POGs... but how they were related or where the "Hop" part came in, I've long since forgotten.

If you were not a child in the 90's or just want to re-live your glory days as a POG champion... here's the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs

P.S. Oh, well thank you Wikipedia. I never knew that POGs originated in Hawaii. I guess that explains the "Hawaiian Pog Hop" theme. Hm. I wonder if I knew that at the time.

2 comments:

Shea said...

omg, i love this. i forgot that you could actually play pogs and it was more than just collecting them, haha.

They banned so many things at my school that by the time I was in 8th grade (because I went to parochial school and still had recess in middle school) we resorted to playing the card game Spoons at recess and breaks. Only we didn't have any spoons so we used the markers from the white board. Our teachers got mad at us because we got really into it, but they couldn't ban markers. I guess they could have banned cards, but who knows what kind of trouble we would have got into them. Sex on the teacher's desk and coke in the bathroom probably, haha. j/k.

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but it was the PTA and not the teachers who planned that party. Normally I like to blame teachers for whatever I can, but this time they are blameless.