Friday, March 20, 2009

Skating Parties

Skating parties were the shit. Almost everyone I knew had one at one time in their life and most kids probably needed at least two hands to count how many skating parties they'd attended.

Good ol' Evan's Skateland... the place
I always thought smelled like money but my mom insisted, "That smell is feet."

Holy crap. They have a website... an Angelfire site with a sweet rotating "Welcome" GIF. This is cracking me up. http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/evansskateland.com/ Wow. Renting out the entire rink for an hour and a half is only $60?! Have they changed their prices since 1995?

Well, Evan's Skateland was always at least ten years behind in their decor and music... so it's not surprising that the trend continues on their web page.

The songs I remember being played most at Evan's Skateland in the early 90's are probably: The Locomotion, "Jump" by Van Halen, and the theme from Ghostbusters. Since the only place I ever heard these songs was at the skating rink, I always considered them to be "roller skating" music. It wasn't until I was older that I realized these songs weren't unique to skating rinks-- Evan's Skateland just had old music.

Don't get me wrong, I have many fond memories of Evan's Skateland... I spent much of my childhood there. I haven't been there in over 10 years but I actually hope it hasn't changed. I miss it. And hey, if you live in Erie and are looking for somewhere to have a party... I gotta imagine there aren't very many places you can rent out for only $60!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We need to send this to Christina so that she knows that our 10 year high school reunion needs to be at Evan's. That would be awesome!

krista said...

Oh my god YES. What a genius idea!

Shea said...

i love that you are so excited that Doug would dance with you at the V Day dance that it doesn't even phase you that you'll be in FLORIDA for the dance.

Skating parties were awesome . . . we always had an end of your field trip to the skating rink in middle school and it was kick ass.

Unknown said...

You forgot about Jump Jump by Kris Kross. Come on now!

krista said...

Haha YES. Good call! Let me know if you think of any other skate songs too! Tell me-- this was an Evan's Skateland song too, right?...

http://www.imeem.com/people/hpZ-fQ/music/AMcxQP1E/freestylers-dont-stop-the-rock/

Unknown said...

Hahaha! You are absolutely right - within the first two bars of that song I was magically transported back to the Rink. Mmmm the smell of sweaty feet.

Kasey said...

I could swear also that the smell was of money. Still to this day, dollar bills remind me of the smell of evan's skateland. Only at a place like that could feet smell like cash.