Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Diary #2 Closing (plus some present-day bitching)

Don't worry folks... we definitely will read my next diary... starting tomorrow.

Of all my diaries, Diary #3 (aka "AB" for reasons you will soon find out) is by far the most... interesting. Perhaps not necessarily in content, but definitely in writing style. Let's just say it lacks no creativity. You'll see what I mean.

Anyhow, in more modern news, I'd like to take a minute to bitch about the two and a half hours I just spent in the kitchen cooking Pierogi Lasagna. It's currently cooling on the stove... so I have yet to taste how it turned out. But I ate so much Easter candy in the meantime, that I'm not even all that hungry anymore.

I was intrigued by the half-Polish half-Italian description (as well as the 2 pounds of cheese and 3/4 cups butter) and undaunted by the warning that it's time consuming. Ha. She wasn't kidding.

It probably wouldn't have taken me quite so long if I hadn't had issues with my stockpot. First of all, I only have one stockpot-- which means I had to cook the lasagna noodles first... then the potatoes. Not a big deal... except for the fact that my stockpot is from the discount grocery store and leaks from its handle's screw holes.

Side story of why I'm stuck with that crappy stockpot anyhow... One night during dinner with my old roomie Julie...
ME: Julie, did you put pepper in these mashed potatoes?
JULIE: No...
ME: What's all this black stuff?
JULIE: Um...
ME: Did you use the hand mixer in the non-stick stockpot?
JULIE: Yep.

In fear of getting cancer from the peeling non-stick coating, we threw out that ruined stockpot (after taking our chances just once and hungrily finishing our Teflon-laced mashed potatoes first). And, well, I haven't gotten around to buying a new pot yet because I'm lazy, cheap, and this one typically works well enough.

Well tonight it was streaming water from the handle. So I could either let the water drip out slowly and sizzle on the burner or stand there and plug the hole with a dishtowel. Fun.

And to make the situation worse,
somehow I managed to burn (and I mean burn) lasagna noodles to the bottom of it too. Before I could cook the potatoes, I had to scrub the crap out of that f-er.

So yeah, I'm not too happy right now. This better be the most delicious thing I have ever consumed in my life. I guess we'll see...

---

I must say, the Pierogi Lasagna was pretty darn good. Not the tastiest thing ever but pretty yummy. I still haven't decided if it was worth the time though. I think if I were to make it again, I'd probably add a sprinkling of bacon. Mmmm. Not that it wasn't unhealthy enough already... haha.

No comments: