Friday, April 3, 2009

I'm Bummed (including an AWESOME middle school relic)

What was in that purple construction paper pocket, you ask? Pretty much the most awesome middle school relic ever... a quintessential example of prepubescent boy-girl communication ... possibly the holy grail of all preteen nostalgia...


YES.

Notice how I wrote the P.S. instruction to return the note to me after filling it out. Did I really think that Doug would fill it out and then put it in his pocket and walk off with it? I clearly did not invent the "Circle Yes/No" note... what made me think that Doug hadn't encountered one before and wouldn't know what to do with it?

In the diary entry, my sarcastic suggestion to rip holes in Doug's shirt to make him go out with me was a reference to the first middle school dance where that tactic worked for Rachel to get Doug to dance with her. I wasn't serious about doing it myself, but it confused the hell out of me. How could Doug like someone who was so mean to him that she ripped his shirt? ...And not like someone who was *mostly* nice to him (me)? I guess I hadn't learned yet that there's a little more to attraction than just whether someone is abusive to you or not.

So it was official. Doug didn't like me. At all. The Doug drama was finally over.

Or was it?

2 comments:

Shea said...

you should collect people embarassing notes from middle school and make a coffee table book out of them

people would totally buy it. this stuff is hilarious.

krista said...

Oh my gosh. Little do you know that I saved all the notes I received in middle school. And the summer after 8th grade, I spent hours in my basement IRONING out the creases of their creative folds and inserting them in a 3" 3-ring binder sorted by school year and author.

I think I have an illness.