Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Staring Problem


Oof. What an awkward time for everyone involved. I certainly didn't have much to look at in 6th grade... but I suppose any chest at all was interesting enough for curious hormonal eyes.

I can't remember if it was 5th grade or 6th grade when I started wearing an actual bra. I hated it. It was so tight and itchy and uncomfortable. So I set a goal: in order to get used to it, I vowed to wear a bra every other day. I even marked on/off days on my calendar. Well, that didn't work out so well because I usually ignored the schedule in favor of comfort. Hey, at least I tried.

And then, one day, I discovered sports bras. They were actually comfortable! I hid my regular bras in the back of my drawer and instead wore a sports bra every day. That is, until I grew enough that my mom said to me (I shit you not)...
Mom: Don't you have any regular bras?
Me: They're too small.
Mom: Well we need to go shopping. You can't wear sports bras every day. You look like you have a uni-boob.

At my mother's insistence, I made the transition from sports bra to regular bra and became a real woman. Good thing too... because that would have been pretty awkward if I only ever wore sports bras through high school and college. Can you imagine every time when hooking up with a new guy, having to
clumsily wrestle your way out of a sports bra instead of simply unclasping a regular bra?

Thanks Mom! :)

2 comments:

Shea said...

yeah, that would be awkward, hahaha.

i love the discussion in this entry about levels of hate vs. dislike and how 12-year-old you is still so optimistic about this Doug character. He sounds like a jerk-face. Do you know whatever happened to him?

krista said...

A matter of fact, Doug and I are still in touch... and he reads this blog. Hahaha.