Thursday, April 30, 2009

Good Day / Bad Day

It makes me sad to realize how much Doug must have liked Suzy... while from what I gathered, she didn't like him nearly as much. He wanted to buy necklaces. He had to double-check if Suzy really wanted to hold hands with him. He even said he loved her. Poor guy. Clearly, I wasn't so sympathetic at the time.

I wish I could remember the details of this "math game" that made us all so sweaty. That is so weird. Mmm math and physical exertion... I can't imagine a better combination.

"All Stars" was a chorus made up of the best 5th and 6th grade singers in the district. Both years, I was one of the four kids chosen in my grade. For the Spring Concert, the four of us sang a song together. And supposedly while doing so, Doug looked at me with zombie eyes. I don't understand why I didn't draw his hair accurately though, considering like 90% of my grade school crushes,
he too had hair that "went like this". Which also explains why he was able to put my scrunchie in his hair.

Finally, I love that my strategy for getting Doug to hang out with me over the summer was to entice him with the great climbing trees in my backyard. I suppose it worked once before...

In 2nd or 3rd Grade, there was a boy named Brian who I knew through the soccer team I played on at the time. He happened to live in my neighborhood and would wander over to my house every once and awhile to climb our trees. One time, he climbed so high, he got stuck and I remember my mom calling out from the kitchen window, "Do you need help??" Another time, he jammed a stick down a crevice in a tree and an entire colony of ants started pouring out. And you know how I hated ants. But that has nothing to do with anything.

Anyhow, one day after bonding over our mutual love for tree-climbing, Brian invited me to go over to his house. Ooh! I had never been to a boy's house before! So I went. I later got in trouble for leaving without telling my mom. But it wasn't even worth it because once we got Brian's house, he spent what seemed like hours showing me his entire baseball card collection, telling me details of the players, the Beckett prices, etc. Snore. I was so bored.

But point is, Brian voluntarily hung out with me because of my awesome trees and even invited me to his house. If the trees worked with him-- why not try it with Doug? Boys are boys, right?

1 comment:

Shea said...

hahahahaha this is hilarious